Tuesday, September 25, 2018

We Are Family

September 25, 2018

I’m sure you’ve heard the quote, “Ohana means family, family means no one is left behind or forgotten…” from the movie Lilo And Stitch. I grew up knowing exactly what Ohana was because my family is actually from Hawaii. Ohana is not limited to your own immediate family and/or even your blood relatives. Ohana is beyond that circle and extends itself into a larger network. We grew up basically addressing every adult as either Auntie or Uncle, and only half the time were they actually related, but because I identified them with a title implying family, they seemed all like family to me. There are many cultures that have similar practices, however, mainland USA is not one and I feel very blessed to have been raised with this understanding of Ohana.

Today’s gospel is one of those that may give us a wrong impression about Jesus; he almost seems like kind of a jerk. Mary and his brothers were trying to get closer to him, but the crowd was too big. I picture the crowds that assemble at the Vatican every week to hear Pope Francis. Imagine if his mom and siblings were in that crowd trying to reach him…crazy. But Jesus recognized an opportunity to teach them and he took it. Basically, he gives us a definition of eternal Ohana, when he was told that his mom and family were standing outside wanting to see him, he said, “My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and act on it.” While it can seem like Jesus was blowing off his mom and family, what he was actually doing was inviting US to be his Ohana.

We have the opportunity to accept or deny this invitation. Acceptance means that we will hear the Word of God and practice it. I find great comfort in the word “practice” because it implies that I am still learning the lines, or the blocking, or the choreography, or the sports play, or the notes, or the tune, or the rules, or the fundamentals, or the process, or the meaning. With practice comes growth and one day, after I’ve practiced enough, I will be ready to apply what I’ve practiced to my life. Living the word of God will eventually be as natural as breathing because I’ve been practicing. This will not ever be a reality unless I understand that “the practice” is really a relationship with God (Father, Son, Holy Spirit) and being part of our Ohana. 

Ohana means no one is left behind or forgotten and these are the family members on the margins, the unlovable, the already forgotten, the sinner, the shamed, the cranky ones, the ones that disagree with us, the ones that don’t fit in, the ones that don’t know the word of God yet, etc. “My mother and brothers (siblings) are those who hear the word of God and act on it.” So as long as we are practicing the things we hear in the Word of God, we will not be forgotten. I love that Jesus calls me his sister today. I love that Jesus calls you brothers and sisters today. Just like any family, we might be a little crazy and dysfunctional, but at the end of the day, we continue to love one another as the Good Good Father loves us. Let us not forget who we are and whose we are and it is well with my soul. 

Reading 1 PRV 21:1-6, 10-13

Like a stream is the king's heart in the hand of the LORD;
wherever it pleases him, he directs it.

All the ways of a man may be right in his own eyes,
but it is the LORD who proves hearts.

To do what is right and just
is more acceptable to the LORD than sacrifice.

Haughty eyes and a proud heart–
the tillage of the wicked is sin.

The plans of the diligent are sure of profit,
but all rash haste leads certainly to poverty.

Whoever makes a fortune by a lying tongue
is chasing a bubble over deadly snares.

The soul of the wicked man desires evil;
his neighbor finds no pity in his eyes.

When the arrogant man is punished, the simple are the wiser;
when the wise man is instructed, he gains knowledge.

The just man appraises the house of the wicked:
there is one who brings down the wicked to ruin.

He who shuts his ear to the cry of the poor
will himself also call and not be heard.

Responsorial Psalm PS 119:1, 27, 30, 34, 35, 44

R. (35) Guide me, Lord, in the way of your commands.
Blessed are they whose way is blameless,
who walk in the law of the LORD.
R. Guide me, Lord, in the way of your commands.
Make me understand the way of your precepts,
and I will meditate on your wondrous deeds.
R. Guide me, Lord, in the way of your commands.
The way of truth I have chosen;
I have set your ordinances before me.
R. Guide me, Lord, in the way of your commands.
Give me discernment, that I may observe your law
and keep it with all my heart.
R. Guide me, Lord, in the way of your commands.
Lead me in the path of your commands,
for in it I delight.
R. Guide me, Lord, in the way of your commands.
And I will keep your law continually,
forever and ever.
R. Guide me, Lord, in the way of your commands.

Alleluia LK 11:28

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Blessed are those who hear the word of God
and observe it.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.

Gospel LK 8:19-21

The mother of Jesus and his brothers came to him
but were unable to join him because of the crowd.
He was told, "Your mother and your brothers are standing outside
and they wish to see you."
He said to them in reply, "My mother and my brothers 
are those who hear the word of God and act on it."

No comments:

Post a Comment