Friday, September 21, 2018

Please Pass The Guacamole

September 21, 2018

One practice of the spiritual exercises of St. Ignatius is when meditating on Scripture, particularly the gospels, we are encouraged to put ourselves into the story, picturing as many details as we can, and letting our imagination be an instrument of piety always drawing us closer to Christ. So, today’s gospel was a very easy one for me to do that with. 

The super paraphrased gospel according to my own imagination for the purposes of understanding the heart of Jesus and applying it to my own life….(did I mention this is super paraphrased???)

As Jesus passed by, he saw a woman named Jen sitting at Starbucks (duh!). He said to her, “Follow me.” And she got up and followed him (I mean this is the guy that I’ve been madly in love with for years, of course I’m going to follow him immediately!). While he was at table in her house (how cool is that??!!), many of Jen’s sinner friends (I won’t mention any of my sinner friends’ names! Wink wink!)came and sat with Jesus and his disciples (The dinner menu? I’m thinking chips and guacamole of course, beer, with a main course of everyone’s favorite Mexican food from Lolita’s in Chula Vista! This is my meditation, so I get to imagine it with all my favorites!). The churchy people saw this and said to his disciples, “Why does your teacher eat with Jen and her friends, doesn’t he know about the terrible things she has done in her past and that her friends are somehow guilty just by association?” Jesus heard this and said, obviously, Jen needs a Savior more than you do because of what she has done, and those sinner friends of hers have shown Jen mercy in her darkest hour, so my mercy and companionship are even more abundantly theirs. A doctor’s purpose is to heal and attend to the sick and Jen’s soul needs healing, and that need for healing is exactly why she dropped everything to follow me. Her need for a Savior is why she invites me into her home. The guilt and shame of her sin is the very thing that allowed her to respond immediately to my call. When people are in need of healing, they are moved to do whatever it takes to become well and Jen recognized that spending time with me and introducing me to her friends was the best way for her to find peace and wellness. I desire mercy, not sacrifice. I did not come to call the righteous but sinners, like Jen.

And there you have it…feel free to insert yourselves into the story. Thank you, God, for sending your Son to save people like me and my friends. Jesus, because of my own weakness and sin, you feel compelled to fellowship with us and I am more than grateful to break bread with you. Please keep saving me. Please keep calling me. Please keep healing me and it is well with my soul.  

Feast of Saint Matthew, Apostle and evangelist
Lectionary: 643

Reading 1 EPH 4:1-7, 11-13

Brothers and sisters:
I, a prisoner for the Lord,
urge you to live in a manner worthy of the call you have received,
with all humility and gentleness, with patience,
bearing with one another through love,
striving to preserve the unity of the Spirit
through the bond of peace:
one Body and one Spirit,
as you were also called to the one hope of your call;
one Lord, one faith, one baptism;
one God and Father of all,
who is over all and through all and in all.

But grace was given to each of us
according to the measure of Christ's gift. 

And he gave some as Apostles, others as prophets,
others as evangelists, others as pastors and teachers,
to equip the holy ones for the work of ministry,
for building up the Body of Christ,
until we all attain to the unity of faith
and knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood,
to the extent of the full stature of Christ. 

Responsorial Psalm PS 19:2-3, 4-5

R. (5) Their message goes out through all the earth.
The heavens declare the glory of God;
and the firmament proclaims his handiwork.
Day pours out the word to day,
and night to night imparts knowledge.
R. Their message goes out through all the earth.
Not a word nor a discourse
whose voice is not heard;
Through all the earth their voice resounds,
and to the ends of the world, their message.
R. Their message goes out through all the earth.

Alleluia See Te Deum

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
We praise you, O God,
we acclaim you as Lord;
the glorious company of Apostles praise you.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.

GospelMT 9:9-13

As Jesus passed by,
he saw a man named Matthew sitting at the customs post.
He said to him, "Follow me."
And he got up and followed him.
While he was at table in his house,
many tax collectors and sinners came
and sat with Jesus and his disciples.
The Pharisees saw this and said to his disciples,
"Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?"
He heard this and said,
"Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do.
Go and learn the meaning of the words,
I desire mercy, not sacrifice.
I did not come to call the righteous but sinners."


2 comments:

  1. You forgot to mention that we were all watching the Norte Dame game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was trying not to implicate you, wink wink, and it was an obvious given that we sinners were watching Notre Dame football!!

      Delete