Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Shake If Off

September 26, 2018

Today Jesus sends the twelve out on a mission trip. It’s time for the Apostles to get their feet wet, experience the real world, and learn the ropes of preaching, healing, and yes, being rejected. Jesus commissions them in the beginning of this reading by giving them the power and authority to drive out demons and to heal the sick. Guess what, friends? We received this same authority at our Baptism and those gifts were shaken and stirred at Confirmation. How cool is that? The catch to this mission trip is that they must travel completely free of stuff! “Take nothing for the journey, neither walking stick, nor sack, nor food, nor money, and let no one take a second tunic.” Are you kidding me, Jesus? At least in Mark’s version of the story, Jesus let them take a walking stick to maybe lean on, or fight off lions and tigers and bears, but in this account, zip, nada, nothing. So what’s up with this? 

Jesus wanted the Apostles (and he wants us) to focus on the Word, the Message, and the Name of Christ. Stuff only gets in the way of relying on that power and authority. If I need to reach into my bag to find my lip-gloss instead of tending to the soul right in front of me, I have missed an opportunity to share the Living Word, I have missed an opportunity to bring Jesus into someone’s life. Jesus wants us to be free. Free to roam about the cabin, free of things that weigh us down, free of distractions, free of having stuff in our hands so we can use those empty hands to heal others. 

Next thing Jesus tells them is, “Whatever house you enter, stay there and leave from there. And as for those who do not welcome you, when you leave that town, shake the dust from your feet in testimony against them.” There is no “if” in this sentence. There will be those that do not welcome us, and there will be those that do not welcome Christ. Jesus tells us that it’s OK to shake it off (YES, insert Taylor Swift song here!!! Because the haters gonna hate, hate, hate!! Come on, I could NOT resist that one). He doesn’t tell us to have words with them, or to post passive aggressive tweets against them, or to say anything at all. Just leave there and shake it off. This seems like some sort of apostolic super power doesn’t it? Don’t say ANYTHING, just shake it off and leave???? I don’t know which is more challenging for me, to PACK nothing or to SAY nothing!!! I have a lot of work to do in both areas for sure. The Apostles did well on their mission trip it seems, “Then they set out and went from village to village proclaiming the good news and curing diseases everywhere.” 

Let’s make every effort to be free today. Carrying a bunch of useless stuff around with us only weighs us down and takes our minds off the Good News. Let’s remember the power and authority that is found in the Name of Jesus, and let’s just shake it off when we are not welcomed. It is well with my soul. 

Reading 1 PRV 30:5-9

Every word of God is tested;
he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.
Add nothing to his words,
lest he reprove you, and you will be exposed as a deceiver.

Two things I ask of you,
deny them not to me before I die:
Put falsehood and lying far from me,
give me neither poverty nor riches;
provide me only with the food I need;
Lest, being full, I deny you,
saying, "Who is the LORD?"
Or, being in want, I steal,
and profane the name of my God.

Responsorial Psalm PS 119:29, 72, 89, 101, 104, 163

R. (105) Your word, O Lord, is a lamp for my feet.
Remove from me the way of falsehood,
and favor me with your law.
R. Your word, O Lord, is a lamp for my feet.
The law of your mouth is to me more precious
than thousands of gold and silver pieces.
R. Your word, O Lord, is a lamp for my feet.
Your word, O LORD, endures forever;
it is firm as the heavens.
R. Your word, O Lord, is a lamp for my feet.
From every evil way I withhold my feet,
that I may keep your words.
R. Your word, O Lord, is a lamp for my feet.
Through your precepts I gain discernment;
therefore I hate every false way.
R. Your word, O Lord, is a lamp for my feet.
Falsehood I hate and abhor;
your law I love.
R. Your word, O Lord, is a lamp for my feet.

Alleluia MK 1:15

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
The Kingdom of God is at hand;
repent and believe in the Gospel.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.

Gospel LK 9:1-6

Jesus summoned the Twelve and gave them power and authority
over all demons and to cure diseases,
and he sent them to proclaim the Kingdom of God
and to heal the sick.
He said to them, "Take nothing for the journey,
neither walking stick, nor sack, nor food, nor money,
and let no one take a second tunic.
Whatever house you enter, stay there and leave from there.
And as for those who do not welcome you,
when you leave that town,
shake the dust from your feet in testimony against them."
Then they set out and went from village to village
proclaiming the Good News and curing diseases everywhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment