Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Rest | December 9, 2015

December 9, 2015

Gospel MT 11:28-30
Jesus said to the crowds:
“Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened,
and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
for I am meek and humble of heart;
and you will find rest for yourselves.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.”

Having just labored through the facilitation and planning of 5 retreats in the past month and a half, this gospel nuzzles its way right into my very tired being. I write this reflection from the hospital where I have been since Monday with my dad who has been laboring with renal failure for days now. The burdens of this world seem very heavy, but when I lie my head down on the lap of my beloved, Jesus, I do indeed find rest, much needed rest. I find rest as I sit, just sit with my family here in this place of healing. I find rest as my dad is treated by saintly people whose vocation is to provide comfort to the weary. I find rest in all the visitations of my precious family and friends as they bring goodies of food and smiles and Eucharist. I find rest when dad calls home with good news about test results. I find rest when I realize how blessed I am to have a strong and abiding faith. I find rest when I feel, literally feel, the prayers of people lifting us up. I find rest in just being here with no agenda, no to do list, no expectations. I find rest when my teenagers text me on their breaks at school asking how my dad is. I find rest in renewed relationships. I find rest in Christ. As I rest, I understand with full heart and mind that his yoke is indeed easy and his burden light.


I want to include a song sung by my girls on retreat in the chapel at Whispering Winds this past weekend. The line I want you to focus on is “my soul will REST in your embrace, for I am yours, and you are mine.”

No comments:

Post a Comment