Saturday, February 27, 2016

Timeless Longing by Jen Bedison

Timelessness has imprinted my longing for a love that is perfect and true,
from the one that will never leave.
Timelessness in a limited world shows itself as restlessness and
restlessness often looks like desperation or
a cat lady in the making.

Deep down it churns like the sea tossing my oneness all over the horizon.
Like sun spots in our eyes it leaves a trail of broken hearted failures
that dance across the page as notes in an unfinished symphony
and I hardly know how to read them anymore.

I thought it was a lovely song, but I guess I played it wrong.
Even still, the notes come from that eternal longing
that breathed in my soul before my wings even took flight.
It whispers in the night, it fans the flames of my heart,
and it makes me want to catch it.
The bad news is that it can't be caught.
And the good news is that it can't be caught.

Migrating monarchs journey toward their destiny,
sacrificing themselves along the path so that their
beloved ones arrive where their loneliness is satisfied and
their timeless longing quenched;
a place where everyone is a soul mate and all are one.

In a limited world it is that first kiss
that haunts us with thoughts of catching it and pinning it down.
And the memory of our Beloved's embrace keeps us in a constant
state of "in-consummation" lingering like a craving.

This holy longing is in everyone, married and single alike.
The empty hands of timelessness remain untouched somewhere
in the depth of our souls and
every now and then someone special
meets us there to remind us of our heart's truest desire
which is, of course, to return to the one who first loved us.

So let the notes of your symphony keep dancing across the horizon,
a timeless tune that only you can play, and
it's serenade will lead you home where He is waiting,
timelessly longing for you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment