Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Betrayal Sucks

The thing that makes betrayal so offensive is that it must be done by someone on the inside, meaning within one’s circle of trust. Anything done from the outside in is considered bullying or war which is enemy driven. Betrayal is when those in a covenant, intimate, close trusting relationship turn on the other and the consequences are usually severe because the betrayer knows the betrayed person’s vulnerabilities. Judas, while not necessarily Jesus’ favorite apostle, was most definitely on the inside and knew things about Jesus that were reserved for only a select few. What makes a circle of trust is that what is shared in that group essentially stays in that group because it wasn’t meant for public consumption and only those in close relationship could be the gentle and loving stewards of the sharing’s of people’s hearts. To take it outside that circle is reckless and left wide open for misunderstanding, judgment, scorn, and in this case death. God knows the offense of betrayal because betrayal is what killed his only Son. 

Betrayal is one of the hardest offenses to forgive and one of the most heartbreaking to accept because trust/security is one of our basic human necessities. Today’s gospel always runs cold in my veins because I’ve experienced betrayal and it somehow never ever gets easier to remember. I am also nudged this morning to ponder the times when I have been the betrayer. Ugh. This is even harder to remember because I hate betrayal so much and to think that I have also hurt someone in this same way is too much to bear. It’s chilling to put myself into Jesus’ shoes this morning as the betrayed one and it is devastating to put myself into Judas’ shoes as the betrayer. Betrayal sucks. I’ve heard Jesus use the words “will be handed over” I found this was a clever choice because it suggested someone with whom Jesus would join hands, one of his best friends, one in his circle of trust. The actual scene when the authorities arrest Jesus has another compelling action that makes your blood run cold…a kiss. Judas chose a kiss to identify Jesus to the people that would torture and kill him. It adds so much more to the story doesn’t it? Yes, Jesus had enemies after him for the entirety of his ministry, but he was able to avoid arrest and execution a number of times. It took one of his closest companions to “hand” him over. 

Back at the table where this scene takes place, we remember from yesterday that John, the beloved, is sitting at his right and on his left would be “he who has dipped his hand into the dish with me”, Judas. John knew his belovedness and stayed faithful and Judas believed the lie that he was not as important to Jesus and from that lie, he betrayed his friend. The fact of the matter is that Judas was as close to Jesus as John was in his place at the table, but the lie that he was not as important infected his thinking and infected thoughts often cause us to act out of fear, insecurity, self-loathing, shame, and pride. John acted out of the truth of his belovedness and was able to abide in his friendship with Jesus until the end, and Judas acted out of the lie that he was not worthy of love so he traded his friend for what the world deemed valuable. How many times have I operated from this same lie? One of the greatest gifts of my spiritual life has been to recognize my own belovedness. It has been a process that is still unfolding, but everyday I choose to sit in his presence and be loved. I used to think that I needed to earn that love, but now I know that I don’t have to “do” anything to attain God’s love, I simply need to “be” in love. The seniors that I work with have taught me this in the natural world. I love them just because. They literally don’t have to do one single thing and I still have an affection in my heart for them that is beyond words. How much more does God love me? How much more does God love you? Today is a day to choose to abide in love and from that truth we will be able to walk hand in hand with him, rather than hand him over to the lies of this world. And may the only kiss we give today be that of mercy upon the cheek of each beloved that is placed before us. It is well with my soul. 

Reading 1 IS 50:4-9A

The Lord GOD has given me 
a well-trained tongue,
That I might know how to speak to the weary
a word that will rouse them.
Morning after morning
he opens my ear that I may hear;
And I have not rebelled,
have not turned back.
I gave my back to those who beat me,
my cheeks to those who plucked my beard;
My face I did not shield
from buffets and spitting.

The Lord GOD is my help,
therefore I am not disgraced;
I have set my face like flint,
knowing that I shall not be put to shame.
He is near who upholds my right;
if anyone wishes to oppose me,
let us appear together.
Who disputes my right?
Let him confront me.
See, the Lord GOD is my help;
who will prove me wrong?

Responsorial Psalm PS 69:8-10, 21-22, 31 AND 33-34

R. (14c) Lord, in your great love, answer me.
For your sake I bear insult,
and shame covers my face.
I have become an outcast to my brothers,
a stranger to my mother's sons,
because zeal for your house consumes me,
and the insults of those who blaspheme you fall upon me.
R. Lord, in your great love, answer me.
Insult has broken my heart, and I am weak,
I looked for sympathy, but there was none;
for consolers, not one could I find.
Rather they put gall in my food,
and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.
R. Lord, in your great love, answer me.
I will praise the name of God in song,
and I will glorify him with thanksgiving:
"See, you lowly ones, and be glad;
you who seek God, may your hearts revive!
For the LORD hears the poor,
and his own who are in bonds he spurns not."
R. Lord, in your great love, answer me.

Verse Before The Gospel

Hail to you, our King;
you alone are compassionate with our errors.

Or

Hail to you, our King, obedient to the Father;
you were led to your crucifixion like a gentle lamb to the slaughter.

Gospel MT 26:14-25

One of the Twelve, who was called Judas Iscariot,
went to the chief priests and said,
"What are you willing to give me
if I hand him over to you?"
They paid him thirty pieces of silver,
and from that time on he looked for an opportunity to hand him over.

On the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread,
the disciples approached Jesus and said,
"Where do you want us to prepare
for you to eat the Passover?"
He said,
"Go into the city to a certain man and tell him,
'The teacher says, "My appointed time draws near;
in your house I shall celebrate the Passover with my disciples."'"
The disciples then did as Jesus had ordered,
and prepared the Passover.

When it was evening,
he reclined at table with the Twelve.
And while they were eating, he said,
"Amen, I say to you, one of you will betray me."
Deeply distressed at this,
they began to say to him one after another,
"Surely it is not I, Lord?"
He said in reply,
"He who has dipped his hand into the dish with me
is the one who will betray me.
The Son of Man indeed goes, as it is written of him,
but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed.
It would be better for that man if he had never been born."
Then Judas, his betrayer, said in reply,
"Surely it is not I, Rabbi?"
He answered, "You have said so."


No comments:

Post a Comment