Friday, August 17, 2018

The “D” Word

August 17, 2018

Today’s gospel is one that we can easily get hung up on if we don’t truly remember the heart of Jesus. Again, the Pharisees loved challenging Jesus publicly as a form of shame and to hopefully trap him into saying something scandalous to use against him. It reminds me a bit of the Press Corp on Pope Francis’ plane. Today’s topic is divorce, and back in those days it was lawful for a man to divorce his wife (not an option for women to divorce her husband) for silly little things like burning dinner or being a nag, etc. Moses was dealing with over a million complaining Israelites and did the best he could in addressing all their petty little requests. Obviously, the Mosaic laws regarding divorce were extreme and the Pharisees wanted Jesus to comment on them to see if he would speak out against them. Jesus explains the reason the laws were instituted in the first place by saying, “because of the hardness of your hearts.” Notice he did not say the hardness of “their” hearts, but “yours”. He is trying to show them when we get stuck in these laws of man, we harden our hearts to the unconditional love of God. 

As a divorced woman, this reading tends to pinch my heart and recalls the shame that accompanies “breaking” such a sacred covenant, however, two things stood out to me today that give me comfort: “(unless the marriage is unlawful)” and “Not all can accept this word, but only those to whom that is granted. Some are incapable of marriage because they were born so; some, because they were made so by others; some because they have renounced marriage for the sake the Kingdom of heaven. Whoever can accept this ought to accept it.” Jesus pretty much covers all vocations with these two statements. There are some marriages that are considered “unlawful” and Jesus reaches out to those that do find themselves divorced for the plethora of legitimate (“unlawful”) reasons (of which abuse is most definitely one). And then Jesus mentions all the other non-married “vocations” if you will as completely acceptable and honorable life choices. I know that from the minute I was divorced, kind-hearted people wanted to immediately set me up with someone else so that I could get a marriage “do over” suggesting (innocently) that living a single life was really really not as honorable as being married. But today Jesus reaches out to those that don’t feel called to marriage or re-marriage, and he says, “whoever can accept this ought to accept this.” Also the statement, “Some are incapable of marriage because they were born so; some, because they were made so by others”, is a very compelling one that suggests that some were born a certain way and some were programmed a certain way by the experiences in their lives. All are welcome and legitimized by Jesus today. 

The bottom line is that each and every one of our “vocations”, married, single, divorced, consecrated, celibate, religious, should have love at the center and should be a reflection of the Holy Trinity’s love. Earthly covenants are most definitely flawed and imperfect, but if we focus on our covenant with God, through Jesus, and empowered by the Holy Spirit, we will be able to live lives that magnify the love and mercy of God. This, in my opinion, is the heart of Jesus in today’s gospel. Have a heavenly covenant kind of day and it is well with my soul.

P.S. I love the covenant of marriage and am in awe of those amazing married couples that have stayed the course and remained committed to that covenant. Didn't want to sound like I did not honor marriage. In fact, sometimes I think divorcees can more fully revere marriage because we know just how difficult it is to persevere. Peace. 

Reading 1 EZ 16:1-15, 60, 63

The word of the LORD came to me: 
Son of man, make known to Jerusalem her abominations.
Thus says the Lord GOD to Jerusalem:
By origin and birth you are of the land of Canaan;
your father was an Amorite and your mother a Hittite.
As for your birth, the day you were born your navel cord was not cut;
you were neither washed with water nor anointed,
nor were you rubbed with salt, nor swathed in swaddling clothes.
No one looked on you with pity or compassion
to do any of these things for you.
Rather, you were thrown out on the ground as something loathsome,
the day you were born.

Then I passed by and saw you weltering in your blood.
I said to you: Live in your blood and grow like a plant in the field.
You grew and developed, you came to the age of puberty;
your breasts were formed, your hair had grown,
but you were still stark naked.
Again I passed by you and saw that you were now old enough for love.
So I spread the corner of my cloak over you to cover your nakedness;
I swore an oath to you and entered into a covenant with you;
you became mine, says the Lord GOD.
Then I bathed you with water, washed away your blood,
and anointed you with oil.
I clothed you with an embroidered gown,
put sandals of fine leather on your feet;
I gave you a fine linen sash and silk robes to wear.
I adorned you with jewelry: I put bracelets on your arms, 
a necklace about your neck, a ring in your nose,
pendants in your ears, and a glorious diadem upon your head.
Thus you were adorned with gold and silver;
your garments were of fine linen, silk, and embroidered cloth.
Fine flour, honey, and oil were your food.
You were exceedingly beautiful, with the dignity of a queen.
You were renowned among the nations for your beauty, perfect as it was,
because of my splendor which I had bestowed on you,
says the Lord GOD. 

But you were captivated by your own beauty,
you used your renown to make yourself a harlot,
and you lavished your harlotry on every passer-by,
whose own you became.

Yet I will remember the covenant I made with you when you were a girl,
and I will set up an everlasting covenant with you,
that you may remember and be covered with confusion,
and that you may be utterly silenced for shame
when I pardon you for all you have done, says the Lord GOD.

Or:EZ 16:59-63


Thus says the LORD:
I will deal with you according to what you have done,
you who despised your oath, breaking a covenant.
Yet I will remember the covenant I made with you when you were a girl,
and I will set up an everlasting covenant with you.
Then you shall remember your conduct and be ashamed
when I take your sisters, those older and younger than you,
and give them to you as daughters,
even though I am not bound by my covenant with you.
For I will re-establish my covenant with you,
that you may know that I am the LORD,
that you may remember and be covered with confusion,
and that you may be utterly silenced for shame
when I pardon you for all you have done, says the Lord GOD.

Responsorial Psalm ISAIAH 12:2-3, 4BCD, 5-6

R. (1c) You have turned from your anger.
God indeed is my savior;
I am confident and unafraid.
My strength and my courage is the LORD,
and he has been my savior.
With joy you will draw water
at the fountain of salvation.
R. You have turned from your anger.
Give thanks to the LORD, acclaim his name;
among the nations make known his deeds,
proclaim how exalted is his name.
R. You have turned from your anger.
Sing praise to the LORD for his glorious achievement;
let this be known throughout all the earth.
Shout with exultation, O city of Zion,
for great in your midst
is the Holy One of Israel!
R. You have turned from your anger.

Alleluia SEE 1 THES 2:13

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Receive the word of God, not as the word of men,
but, as it truly is, the word of God.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.

Gospel MT 19:3-12

Some Pharisees approached Jesus, and tested him, saying,
"Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any cause whatever?"
He said in reply, "Have you not read that from the beginning
the Creator made them male and female and said,
For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother
and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh?

So they are no longer two, but one flesh.
Therefore, what God has joined together, man must not separate." 
They said to him, "Then why did Moses command
that the man give the woman a bill of divorce and dismiss her?"
He said to them, "Because of the hardness of your hearts
Moses allowed you to divorce your wives,
but from the beginning it was not so.
I say to you, whoever divorces his wife
(unless the marriage is unlawful)
and marries another commits adultery."
His disciples said to him,
"If that is the case of a man with his wife,
it is better not to marry."
He answered, "Not all can accept this word,
but only those to whom that is granted.
Some are incapable of marriage because they were born so;
some, because they were made so by others;
some, because they have renounced marriage
for the sake of the Kingdom of heaven.
Whoever can accept this ought to accept it." 



No comments:

Post a Comment