Friday, August 3, 2018

Holy Spirit, You Are Welcome Here

August 3, 2018

Today’s gospel, unfortunately, reveals more about us and our tendency to smear each other. Jesus went home for a visit and was asked to give the teaching at the synagogue. They must have heard all kinds of amazing and surprising stories about their hometown kid and their curiosity was eating away at them. Don’t we also bait each other into situations because we’ve heard stuff and we simply want to test the validity about what we’ve heard? Jesus exceeds whatever expectations they had of Him and then they move into jealousy/envy mode and begin the mud campaign. Obviously, Jesus grew up in a simple and humble household, which is a beautiful detail of the story that I have missed over the years. When the crowd was asking, “Is he not the carpenter’s son? Is not his mother named Mary?” etc. They were suggesting that these were simple down to earth people and not as advanced or highly educated as Jesus was portraying. It seemed a stretch for Jesus to have been related to this very “ordinary” family because of His impressive knowledge of the scripture. Don’t we also make these blanket judgments, rooted in jealousy, about one another? They dismiss Jesus after that because they just can’t believe that anyone from among them could be so “enlightened.” Don’t we also project our own flaws, weaknesses, fears, and shortcomings on each other? 

Jesus recognizes that this environment is not hospitable to the workings of the Holy Spirit and it says, “He did not work many deeds there because of their lack of faith.” Oh dear. How many times have I gotten in the way of His “many deeds” because of my lack of faith? How many wonders have I blocked because of jealousy, envy, or pride? How many miracles have I missed because I was too busy pointing out all the things that didn’t quite add up? How many times has the Spirit felt unwelcomed by me? 

Today’s gospel pinches my heart in a very sobering way. I know that every time I hit the publish button for this blog, I feel as if the same questions and scrutiny will be asked of me, “Is she not just a communications major? Did she even study theology? How can she have any insight into scripture when she herself is totally sinful? When did she get all of this?” I know deep in my heart that is not the case, but even if it is, Jesus gets it and that is a beautiful reminder that He walks with us through it all. He understands rejection, jealousy, betrayal, and scrutiny. He simply asks us to keep moving onward and upward to the next place where the Holy Spirit will be welcomed. I wish this gospel was not really a snapshot about me and my lack of faith, but if I’m being honest, I have had this kind of shallow faith at times in my life. Today I resolve to step up my hospitality toward the Holy Spirit because there are people in my life that really really really need His many deeds and I do NOT want to stand in His way. Have a welcome the Holy Spirit kind of day and it is well with my soul. 

Reading 1 JER 26:1-9

In the beginning of the reign of Jehoiakim,
son of Josiah, king of Judah,
this message came from the LORD: 
Thus says the LORD:
Stand in the court of the house of the LORD
and speak to the people of all the cities of Judah
who come to worship in the house of the LORD;
whatever I command you, tell them, and omit nothing.
Perhaps they will listen and turn back, 
each from his evil way,
so that I may repent of the evil I have planned to inflict upon them
for their evil deeds.
Say to them: Thus says the LORD: 
If you disobey me,
not living according to the law I placed before you
and not listening to the words of my servants the prophets,
whom I send you constantly though you do not obey them,
I will treat this house like Shiloh,
and make this the city to which all the nations of the earth
shall refer when cursing another.

Now the priests, the prophets, and all the people
heard Jeremiah speak these words in the house of the LORD.
When Jeremiah finished speaking
all that the LORD bade him speak to all the people,
the priests and prophets laid hold of him, crying,
"You must be put to death! 
Why do you prophesy in the name of the LORD:
'This house shall be like Shiloh,' and
'This city shall be desolate and deserted'?"
And all the people gathered about Jeremiah in the house of the LORD.

Responsorial Psalm PS 69:5, 8-10, 14

R. (14c) Lord, in your great love, answer me.
Those outnumber the hairs of my head
who hate me without cause.
Too many for my strength
are they who wrongfully are my enemies.
Must I restore what I did not steal?
R. Lord, in your great love, answer me.
Since for your sake I bear insult,
and shame covers my face.
I have become an outcast to my brothers,
a stranger to my mother’s sons,
Because zeal for your house consumes me,
and the insults of those who blaspheme you fall upon me.
R. Lord, in your great love, answer me.
But I pray to you, O LORD,
for the time of your favor, O God!
In your great kindness answer me
with your constant help.
R. Lord, in your great love, answer me.

Alleluia 1 PT 1:25

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
The word of the Lord remains forever;
this is the word that has been proclaimed to you.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.

GospelMT 13:54-58

Jesus came to his native place and taught the people in their synagogue.
They were astonished and said,
“Where did this man get such wisdom and mighty deeds?
Is he not the carpenter’s son?
Is not his mother named Mary
and his brothers James, Joseph, Simon, and Judas?
Are not his sisters all with us?
Where did this man get all this?”
And they took offense at him.
But Jesus said to them,
“A prophet is not without honor except in his native place
and in his own house.”
And he did not work many mighty deeds there
because of their lack of faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment