Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Who’s The Boss | September 1, 2015

September 1, 2015

Have you ever been somewhere by mistake and to cover up the fact that you really don’t belong, you just act like you know what you’re doing? Or, have you ever heard the phrase, “just walk with purpose and no one will bother you”? I do this one all the time when I’m in the mall because I really don’t like it when the aggressive kiosk vendors try to talk to me or swoon me in with their clever leading questions: “excuse me, Miss? OR heaven forbid, “excuse me, Ma’am, I have a question for you. Are you totally satisfied with your phone plan? Or, from the Green Peace kids, “Do you want to help save cute little dolphins today?” When I see kiosks, I put on my walk with purpose which means I only have a certain amount of time to get to my destination. I look like I know exactly where I am going and if necessary, I’ll pull out my phone for a little extra purpose just so they won’t bother me. I must admit that I have become an expert at this purposeful walking and manage to avoid the terrorists, I mean kiosk vendors quite successfully. I’ve noticed that whenever I am walking with purpose even if my purpose is trivial like avoiding salespeople, I feel different inside. I feel motivated, and empowered, and driven. It gives me a certain confidence and that confidence can translate as authority, like I actually do know what’s going on. It’s a cool trick.

Well in today’s Gospel, Jesus is not messing around just trying to ditch some 19-year-old kid with dreadlocks working to save puppies and dolphins. No, his authority, his walk with purpose is actually legit and that’s what throws people off.  His authority drives out demons! What???? And these demons recognize his authority which must have freaked out all the bystanders who simply thought Jesus was just a cool dude. Jesus was no undercover cop. No, his badge of authority poured out of him in word, deed, sign, and wonder. Guess what? We have been given this same authority by virtue of our Baptism when we were consecrated in the Name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

I don’t know about you, but whenever my parents used my full name growing up, I knew they meant business. Jennifer Lyn Bedison!! Yikes, I’m in trouble. When my parents said my full name it was never in a tender way but emphasized either in volume or between pursed lips and a clenched jaw, never whispered, and always said in a sort of staccato Jen – ni – fer    Lynnnnnnnnn   Be – di – son! Our names and the calling of our names gives people a certain amount of authority over us. Think about the waiting room at the doctor, when they call your name, does it send a little chill down your spine, or is that just me? I have a friend who uses my entire first name for emphasis. When I hear them say, Jennifer…I know they are about to tell me something important. Very few people call me by my full name, Jennifer, and it definitely makes me listen more intently whenever it is used (i.e. at the doctor’s office). There is no greater power than the Name of Jesus and we have been anointed with the anointed: Christ.


So, that walk with purpose takes on a whole new level of depth when we use the name of Jesus, because we know who the boss is. The purpose becomes eternal and it motivates, empowers, and drives us to all that is good and lovely and holy and true. As we walk with THIS purpose, those calling out to us with promises of an easier way will become an annoying kiosk vendor to be ignored and passed by and we will reach our purpose-filled destination of holiness. Who’s your boss?  

Reading 1 1 THES 5:1-6, 9-11

Concerning times and seasons, brothers and sisters,
you have no need for anything to be written to you.
For you yourselves know very well
that the day of the Lord will come like a thief at night.
When people are saying, “Peace and security,”
then sudden disaster comes upon them,
like labor pains upon a pregnant woman, 
and they will not escape.

But you, brothers and sisters, are not in darkness,
for that day to overtake you like a thief.
For all of you are children of the light 
and children of the day.
We are not of the night or of darkness.
Therefore, let us not sleep as the rest do,
but let us stay alert and sober.
For God did not destine us for wrath,
but to gain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ,
who died for us, so that whether we are awake or asleep
we may live together with him.
Therefore, encourage one another and build one another up,
as indeed you do.

Responsorial Psalm PS 27:1, 4, 13-14

R. (13) I believe that I shall see the good things of the Lord in the land of the living.
The LORD is my light and my salvation;
whom should I fear?
The LORD is my life’s refuge;
of whom should I be afraid?
R. I believe that I shall see the good things of the Lord in the land of the living.
One thing I ask of the LORD;
this I seek:
To dwell in the house of the LORD
all the days of my life,
That I may gaze on the loveliness of the LORD
and contemplate his temple.
R. I believe that I shall see the good things of the Lord in the land of the living.
I believe that I shall see the bounty of the LORD
in the land of the living.
Wait for the LORD with courage;
be stouthearted, and wait for the LORD.
R. I believe that I shall see the good things of the Lord in the land of the living.

Alleluia LK 7:16

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
A great prophet has arisen in our midst
and God has visited his people.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.

Gospel LK 4:31-37

Jesus went down to Capernaum, a town of Galilee.
He taught them on the sabbath,
and they were astonished at his teaching
because he spoke with authority.
In the synagogue there was a man with the spirit of an unclean demon, 
and he cried out in a loud voice,
“What have you to do with us, Jesus of Nazareth?
Have you come to destroy us?
I know who you are–the Holy One of God!”
Jesus rebuked him and said, “Be quiet! Come out of him!”
Then the demon threw the man down in front of them
and came out of him without doing him any harm.
They were all amazed and said to one another,
“What is there about his word?
For with authority and power he commands the unclean spirits,
and they come out.”
And news of him spread everywhere in the surrounding region.

No comments:

Post a Comment