Monday, January 7, 2013

What would you fight for?

Today is the BCS National Championship game between Notre Dame and Alabama. It was all I thought about for days after ND found out they were in the championship. It is the most exciting thing and yet I feel lack luster somehow.

I just spent a couple of hours at Children's Hospital visiting a middle schooler who is struggling. While we were there I heard screams coming from the next room of a 16 year old girl who is fighting anorexia. She was in agony.

I just had my wedding rings stolen from me by my godson who has been fighting a severe heroin addiction. People are in agony and struggling to survive. There are champions fighting all around me. And, I, dare I say, am actually one of them. I am fighting to forgive, fighting to love radically, fighting to not wallow in the loneliness I am feeling today. It's hard.

Is my defense better or my offense? Do I handle pressure in the pocket well? Do I make stupid mistakes that cost me yardage? Do I make the wrong or right calls? Do I win gracefully? Do I lose graciously? Do I call in support when it's a critical 3rd down situation? Do I attempt a trick play when nothing steady has been working? Do I keep my head in the game when the crowd is too loud? Do I appreciate the people that are playing the game with me? Do I seek the advice of other coaches? Do I get caught up in the hype? Do I let the opponents intimidate me? Do I excessively celebrate and/or do I have poor sportsmanship? Do I bounce back after getting beat up? Do I rehabilitate my injuries properly? Do I second guess my play calls? Do I have confidence in my abilities? Do I love playing or do I just go through the motions?

These are my thoughts today. It seems a little more than just a silly football game or does it? Football may indeed be a metaphor for life somehow. All I know is that at the end of the day, Notre Dame will still belong to Our Lady and so will I, so I guess it's all good. The importance is in the journey and how well you show up and the results may not be evident today or tomorrow, but they will be revealed in time. The key is knowing what you would fight for and fighting a good fight. Go IRISH!

No comments:

Post a Comment