Wednesday, December 11, 2019

The Burden Of Proof

Today’s gospel has me reflecting on the burdens that I choose to carry. I think the biggest one for me is the burden of needing or wanting everyone’s approval. This is a tremendous load and completely unrealistic, but I still get caught up in striving for it and being disappointed and hurt when I don’t get it. It’s a standard that only weighs me down. When I seek the approval of ONE, the One who created me, who loved me into existence, who breathed His life into me, who paints the morning sky for me each new day, who sings love songs to me as I wake, who calls me His favorite, who delights in the way I love His beloveds, who has blessed me with creativity and passion, who constantly pursues me, who never takes His eyes off of me, who would die for me all over again just so I can be free, and who knows the desires of my heart better than I even do…then the tremendous load of pleasing people becomes a feather upon my shoulders, a weight completely lifted, and a restful place where worry and anxiety cease. I don’t need to prove anything to the only One that truly approves of me because I am already proof of His amazing love. 

The word Emmanuel was given to me as encouragement this week, reminding me that we are to be “God with us” in all that we do. God with us is today’s gospel in a nutshell and His yoke is easy because we are called to “Be still and know that He is God,” and His burden is light because the burden of proof is not on us, but on Him. We don’t need to prove ourselves, He carries the burden of proof and Jesus Christ is the only proof I need to know how much I am loved, cherished, approved of, and pursued. With His arms stretched out, Jesus carries our load of whatever it is that weighs us down, whatever is heavy on our heart, whatever presses our mind with anxiety or worry, whatever keeps us sluggish and sedentary. Emmanuel is the easy yoke and the light burden. Emmanuel is easy. Emmanuel is light. What are the burdens that you continue to carry? What do you need to surrender to Jesus to lighten your load? Emmanuel is ready for an easy load day with you. It is well with my soul. 

Reading 1 IS 40:25-31

To whom can you liken me as an equal?
says the Holy One.
Lift up your eyes on high
and see who has created these things:
He leads out their army and numbers them,
calling them all by name.
By his great might and the strength of his power
not one of them is missing!
Why, O Jacob, do you say,
and declare, O Israel,
"My way is hidden from the LORD,
and my right is disregarded by my God"?

Do you not know
or have you not heard?
The LORD is the eternal God,
creator of the ends of the earth.
He does not faint nor grow weary,
and his knowledge is beyond scrutiny.
He gives strength to the fainting;
for the weak he makes vigor abound.
Though young men faint and grow weary,
and youths stagger and fall,
They that hope in the LORD will renew their strength,
they will soar as with eagles' wings;
They will run and not grow weary,
walk and not grow faint.

Responsorial Psalm PS 103:1-2, 3-4, 8 AND 10

R.(1)  O bless the Lord, my soul!
Bless the LORD, O my soul;
and all my being, bless his holy name.
Bless the LORD, O my soul,
and forget not all his benefits.
R. O bless the Lord, my soul!
He pardons all your iniquities,
he heals all your ills.
He redeems your life from destruction,
he crowns you with kindness and compassion.
R. O bless the Lord, my soul!
Merciful and gracious is the LORD,
slow to anger and abounding in kindness.
Not according to our sins does he deal with us,
nor does he requite us according to our crimes.
R. O bless the Lord, my soul!

Alleluia

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Behold, the Lord comes to save his people;
blessed are those prepared to meet him.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.

Gospel MT 11:28-30

Jesus said to the crowds:
"Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened,
and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
for I am meek and humble of heart;
and you will find rest for yourselves.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden light."

No comments:

Post a Comment