Friday, September 13, 2019

Beam Me Up Jesus!

A few of my memory care sweethearts that are in wheelchairs can actually move themselves on their own using their legs. Basically they walk themselves around while sitting. One of my mobile sweethearts loves to help these particular wheelchair friends out by pushing them around whenever she runs into one in the hallway. The problem is that neither one knows exactly where they are going and so Lois will just keep pushing whomever around and around the hallways until someone directs them to a proper destination. Don’t worry, there is no way for them to leave the premises so they are safe, but whole scene reminds me of Jesus’ opening line in today’s gospel, “Can a blind person guide a blind person? Will they not both fall into a pit?” Lois’ intentions come from the depth of her soul to simply help a friend get somewhere, but the knowing how and the knowing where are beyond her capacity. When someone in the know comes along, then the two wayward travelers can get where they need to go. The same is true for a lot of us as we apply our beautiful intentions to guide each other toward something without the supernatural gifts of the Holy Spirit such as wisdom, counsel, understanding, fortitude, etc. We are all somewhat spiritually blind and the virtue of humility allows us to admit that we cannot do any of it without the Holy Spirit. 

What exactly is a beam in one’s eye? Whatever blocks our wider perspective? Our need for inner healing? The habit that has us chained? The mindset that has us fooled? The tendency toward sin that has us conflicted? The pain of the past that has us limited and afraid? Jesus is encouraging us to deal with these restraints that have created a huge obstruction in our path toward wholeness. We train ourselves to look out of the eye without the beam in it, which is a narrow and incomplete view of reality and that only leads to judgment. Beamless unobstructed vision is how Jesus looks at us and He only sees us as the Father created us…beautiful, good, and worthy. Jesus wants so much more for us and that includes seeing each other with clear vision so we can admire the work of our Good Good Father in all, including ourselves. 

Inner healing work is so important, friends. I think Jesus is inviting us to start removing those blockages that keep us from seeing the truth. He is all in with us if we allow ourselves to be fully trained by Him. Let’s stop wandering the halls aimlessly and get to the business of walking each other home. When we get the beam out, we can get to beaming up. Beam me up, Jesus!! It is well with my soul. 

Memorial of Saint John Chrysostom, Bishop and Doctor of the Church
Lectionary: 441

Reading 1 1 TM 1:1-2, 12-14

Paul, an Apostle of Christ Jesus by command of God our savior
and of Christ Jesus our hope,
to Timothy, my true child in faith:
grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father
and Christ Jesus our Lord.

I am grateful to him who has strengthened me, Christ Jesus our Lord,
because he considered me trustworthy
in appointing me to the ministry.
I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and an arrogant man,
but I have been mercifully treated
because I acted out of ignorance in my unbelief.
Indeed, the grace of our Lord has been abundant,
along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.

Responsorial Psalm PS 16:1B-2A AND 5, 7-8, 11

R.(see 5) You are my inheritance, O Lord.
Keep me, O God, for in you I take refuge;
I say to the LORD, "My Lord are you."
O LORD, my allotted portion and my cup,
you it is who hold fast my lot.
R.You are my inheritance, O Lord.
I bless the LORD who counsels me;
even in the night my heart exhorts me.
I set the LORD ever before me;
with him at my right hand I shall not be disturbed.
R.You are my inheritance, O Lord.
You will show me the path to life,
fullness of joys in your presence,
the delights at your right hand forever.
R.You are my inheritance, O Lord.

Alleluia SEE JN 17:17B, 17A

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Your word, O Lord, is truth;
consecrate us in the truth.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.

Gospel LK 6:39-42

Jesus told his disciples a parable:
"Can a blind person guide a blind person?
Will not both fall into a pit?
No disciple is superior to the teacher;
but when fully trained,
every disciple will be like his teacher.
Why do you notice the splinter in your brother's eye,
but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own?
How can you say to your brother,
'Brother, let me remove that splinter in your eye,'
when you do not even notice the wooden beam in your own eye?
You hypocrite!  Remove the wooden beam from your eye first;
then you will see clearly
to remove the splinter in your brother's eye."

No comments:

Post a Comment