Friday, February 22, 2019

Who Does He Say You Are?

Yesterday’s gospel and today’s gospel are almost the same story with the exception of our friend Peter’s response. In both gospels Peter enthusiastically answers the Jesus question, “You are the Christ.” Yay, Peter!! Good job, buddy! You got this! And in yesterday’s gospel from Mark, Peter takes Jesus aside and “rebukes” him because Jesus was talking about suffering, and rejection, and death, and resurrection, and Peter was uncomfortable with this kind of truth. He thought it best for Jesus to keep these “challenging” and “vague” concepts on the down low for fear that someone might get the wrong (or right) impression. And then we have the giant Jesus rebuke, “Get behind me, Satan. You are thinking not as God does, but as human beings do.” Oi vey, poor Pete! How many times have I taken Jesus aside and told him that his plan or his way was not my preferred method and that perhaps we should do things my way? Oi vey, silly Jen! Jesus rebukes the lie that Satan has whispered into Peter’s ear that the Messiah should only speak about rainbows and unicorns and not about anything difficult, challenging, or uncomfortable. 

Fast forward to today’s gospel from Matthew: Peter enthusiastically answers the Jesus question, “You are the Christ.” Yay, Peter!! Good job, buddy! You got this! And Jesus replies, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father. And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” Was the Peter in today’s gospel someone altogether different than yesterdays? Nope, same dude, and probably still had the same lie whispered in his brain, however, Jesus chose encouragement rather than rebuke to pull the gift of Peter’s “rockiness” out of him. The fact of the matter is that a rock is solid and strong, but a rock is also hardheaded, stubborn, and well, sometimes stupid. Jesus pulls out the goodness in Peter’s character with words of encouragement, trust, and love. Peter’s immediate and enthusiastic response to the Jesus question showed his boldness and it is that kind of boldness and raw passion that is required to serve in God’s kingdom. Yay, Peter!! Good job, buddy! You got this! Jesus also showed Peter that the truth of revelation of the Christ came from God, rather than the lies that Satan tries to peddle. Which voice do I listen to? 

I always wonder what name Jesus would give me if I were in this story and that might be a great question for each of us to ponder today. Remember that Jesus only sees the gold in us and while that gold may need some refining, if we respond to him with all that we are, and if we let the voice of God be the loudest voice we listen to, he will respond to us with the keys to unlock that treasure within us. Sometimes, we need rebuke as a reminder to ignore the lies that constantly bombard our thinking and most of the time we need encouragement as a reminder that Jesus not only loves us, but also trusts us with the mission of bringing his love and mercy into the world. Today I heard Jesus say, “Jennifer, SERVER, on this heart, I build my church.” What does he call you? It is well with my soul. 

Feast of the Chair of Saint Peter, Apostle
Lectionary: 535

Reading 1 1 PT 5:1-4

Beloved:
I exhort the presbyters among you,
as a fellow presbyter and witness to the sufferings of Christ
and one who has a share in the glory to be revealed.
Tend the flock of God in your midst,
overseeing not by constraint but willingly,
as God would have it, not for shameful profit but eagerly.
Do not lord it over those assigned to you,
but be examples to the flock.
And when the chief Shepherd is revealed,
you will receive the unfading crown of glory.

Responsorial Psalm PS 23:1-3A, 4, 5, 6

R. (1)  The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.
The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
In verdant pastures he gives me repose;
Beside restful waters he leads me;
he refreshes my soul.
R. The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.
Even though I walk in the dark valley
I fear no evil; for you are at my side
With your rod and your staff
that give me courage.
R. The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.
You spread the table before me
in the sight of my foes;
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
R. The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.
Only goodness and kindness follow me
all the days of my life;
And I shall dwell in the house of the LORD
for years to come.
R. The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

Alleluia MT 16:18

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
You are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church;
the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.

Gospel MT 16:13-19

When Jesus went into the region of Caesarea Philippi
he asked his disciples,
“Who do people say that the Son of Man is?”
They replied, “Some say John the Baptist, others Elijah,
still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”
Simon Peter said in reply, 
“You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
Jesus said to him in reply, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah.
For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father.
And so I say to you, you are Peter,
and upon this rock I will build my Church,
and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.
I will give you the keys to the Kingdom of heaven.
Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven;
and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment