Monday, November 5, 2018

Extravagant Love

Have you ever given someone an anonymous gift and enjoyed their trying to figure out who gave it to them? Have you ever received an anonymous gift and wondered whom it was from so that you could at least thank them for it? The thing that makes something a gift is that it is unsolicited and free (that’s why I do not like Christmas lists, because it turns our gifts into requests). Gifts are freely given without expectation of a return of any sort. A gift is not necessarily something that the recipient deserves, but rather a thoughtful lavishing of delight upon them simply because they are important. I kind of wish that all gift giving occasions were anonymous like our “Secret Santa’s” or “Advent Angels” traditions, because that way, we would be able to give freely and not expect any return. Today’s gospel is about extravagant gift giving.

If anyone is ever confused about Jesus’ opinions about the poor, the outcast, the weak, the forgotten, the disabled, and the different ones, then today’s gospel should be laminated and displayed on their refrigerators. Jesus doesn’t say, give the marginalized your left over dinner from your fancy restaurant, or whatever you do don’t look the homeless person in the eye, or don’t give the man holding that sign money because he’s just going to buy drugs with it. He says, “When you hold a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind.” Why does Jesus specify the guest list? It is their inability to pay us back that makes our banquet complete gift. Jesus is trying to teach us about God’s nature in this gospel and He wants us to reflect His nature because it is important to Him that everyone knows extravagant love.

God’s grace, love, mercy, forgiveness, and compassion are extravagantly and freely given to all, and He delights in us receiving these things whether we thank Him or not. These free undeserved gifts from God are the banquet, the feast, the best wine, the fatted calf, the surprise party, the things that we, sinners, could never pay back. We are to mimic this kind of extravagance with those that are unable to return the favor as a witness of the generosity shown to us by a merciful Father. This free outpouring of extravagant love to those on the margins is the best way to build the kingdom. Perhaps we can all brainstorm today about some sort of extravagant way to love those that cannot pay us back. Let our witness reflect God’s extravagance in our own life. Have an extravagant and anonymous gift kind of day and it is well with my soul.

Reading 1 PHIL 2:1-4

Brothers and sisters:
If there is any encouragement in Christ,
any solace in love,
any participation in the Spirit,
any compassion and mercy,
complete my joy by being of the same mind, with the same love,
united in heart, thinking one thing.
Do nothing out of selfishness or out of vainglory;
rather, humbly regard others as more important than yourselves,
each looking out not for his own interests, 
but also everyone for those of others.

Responsorial Psalm PS 131:1BCDE, 2, 3

R. In you, O Lord, I have found my peace.
O LORD, my heart is not proud,
nor are my eyes haughty;
I busy not myself with great things,
nor with things too sublime for me.
R. In you, O Lord, I have found my peace.
Nay rather, I have stilled and quieted
my soul like a weaned child.
Like a weaned child on its mother's lap,
so is my soul within me.
R. In you, O Lord, I have found my peace.
O Israel, hope in the LORD,
both now and forever.
R. In you, O Lord, I have found my peace.

Alleluia JN 8:31B-32

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
If you remain in my word, you will truly be my discip0les,
and you will know the truth, says the Lord.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.

Gospel LK 14:12-14

On a sabbath Jesus went to dine
at the home of one of the leading Pharisees.
He said to the host who invited him,
"When you hold a lunch or a dinner,
do not invite your friends or your brothers or sisters
or your relatives or your wealthy neighbors,
in case they may invite you back and you have repayment.
Rather, when you hold a banquet,
invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind; 
blessed indeed will you be because of their inability to repay you.
For you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous."

No comments:

Post a Comment