Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Toilet Paper Shortage

October 24, 2018

Disclaimer: This is a recycled, but still relevant post. 

I wouldn’t say I’m the world’s worst procrastinator (or I guess I should say the world’s best procrastinator), but I have been known to completely run out of toilet paper in my house at the most unfortunate times because I was not on top of it. I am famous for showing up to my friend’s houses and walking out the door with a roll of toilet paper in my purse. I am jealous of those people that have their cupboards stocked with things like extra you know food, toiletries, batteries, flashlights, and all those good things that would help you survive a nuclear holocaust. Let’s face it, the ¾ of a bottle of wine on my counter, package of corn tortillas and vanilla ice cream in the freezer, or the assortment of hot sauces in the fridge are not going to keep me alive for very long. When it comes to preparing for natural disasters, I am undeniably inept. I’ve gone to the store in desperate need of toilet paper and walked out with just coffee and potato chips. I procrastinate and don’t really plan ahead with silly domestic matters like extra batteries and TP, but the real question is, do I procrastinate in matters of the heart?

If I’m being honest, I definitely do on some level for example confession has been on my list of things to do for weeks now and I still have not managed to get there. Confession and toilet paper are both extremely necessary for obvious reasons and yet, I somehow manage to put them on the bottom of my priority list (hee hee, the pun!!). While I get up at the crack of dawn to pray daily, and ingest a healthy dose of scripture regularly, and I praise God in my work and in my free time, I still can always manage to do better. I know better and so I must do better. Today’s gospel is specifically meant for those of us considered leaders in our faith and I’m going to go out on a limb and say that if you are reading this blog, yep, YOU are a leader in faith. 

Jesus sets up the parable like this, “Be sure of this: if the master of the house had known the hour when the thief was coming, he would not have let his house be broken into. You also must be prepared, for at an hour you do not expect, the Son of Man will come.” Peter, assuming the leadership role, asks, “Lord, is this parable meant for us or for everyone?” It’s not really a loaded question, but Jesus definitely uses the opportunity to give a personalized lesson to the men that would eventually establish the universal church. He says that leaders are responsible for providing food for their followers at the proper time and blessed are they when the Master finds them doing so, and boo when they are found NOT doing so. I think a lot of times I think, well I still have time to get it right and all that really matters is that I have it together when I actually meet God face to face, however, I need to remember that the way I live my life will be the way that I also come before God. I better start best practices now, which means serving others, in the proper time, and the proper time always means NOW. 

Jesus is setting the Apostle’s up for the practicum of this lesson, which is when he washes their feet at the Last Supper, just four days away. He tells them what makes a good leader and then he shows them. Once we have been told what the Father’s will is and once we have been shown how to live out the Father’s will, “Much will be required of the person entrusted with much, and still more will be demanded of the person entrusted with more.” This sentence tends to make people choose ignorance over knowledge or following over leading. It seems daunting and just a failure waiting to happen, however, if we look at the sentence, Jesus clearly tells us that leaders are chosen and trusted by God. The mere exercise of being chosen automatically empowers us to shine and add being trusted on top of that, well that is the icing on the cake. We will behave according to our level of preparation and the only way to prepare is to plan, practice, and proclaim. Planning requires thought and knowledge of the possibilities and comes from listening and observing. Practice comes from actually living the call that we have been given and practice always implies that it is not yet perfected, so keep trying. Proclaiming stands on a solid foundation of well practiced plans. We can only preach what we truly know and believe, and that comes from planning and practice.

Strong leaders are hard to catch off guard. They are well practiced and ready for almost any situation. They understand the value in maintaining integrity, even when the boss is not looking. Jesus is instructing the Apostles and us to be well planned, and practiced. If you have ever run out of toilet paper, you know the feeling of dread, embarrassment, and complete foolishness, not to mention your pants are usually around your ankles making the situation all the more humiliating. I don’t know about you, but I would rather meet Jesus while he is sitting on his heavenly throne and not while I am sitting on the porcelain throne without any toilet paper. Prepare | Practice | Proclaim and you’ll be ready for the Master to come. 

P.S. Today is my dad's birthday and I celebrate the amazing spiritual leader that he was in my life, and it is well with my soul. 

Reading 1 EPH 3:2-12

Brothers and sisters:
You have heard of the stewardship of God’s grace
that was given to me for your benefit,
namely, that the mystery was made known to me by revelation,
as I have written briefly earlier.
When you read this
you can understand my insight into the mystery of Christ,
which was not made known to human beings in other generations
as it has now been revealed
to his holy Apostles and prophets by the Spirit,
that the Gentiles are coheirs, members of the same Body,
and copartners in the promise in Christ Jesus through the Gospel.

Of this I became a minister by the gift of God’s grace
that was granted me in accord with the exercise of his power.
To me, the very least of all the holy ones, this grace was given,
to preach to the Gentiles the inscrutable riches of Christ,
and to bring to light for all what is the plan of the mystery
hidden from ages past in God who created all things,
so that the manifold wisdom of God
might now be made known through the Church
to the principalities and authorities in the heavens.
This was according to the eternal purpose
that he accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord,
in whom we have boldness of speech
and confidence of access through faith in him.

Responsorial Psalm ISAIAH 12:2-3, 4BCD, 5-6

R. (see 3) You will draw water joyfully from the springs of salvation.
God indeed is my savior;
I am confident and unafraid.
My strength and my courage is the LORD,
and he has been my savior.
With joy you will draw water
at the fountain of salvation.
R. You will draw water joyfully from the springs of salvation.
Give thanks to the LORD, acclaim his name;
among the nations make known his deeds,
proclaim how exalted is his name.
R. You will draw water joyfully from the springs of salvation.
Sing praise to the LORD for his glorious achievement;
let this be known throughout all the earth.
Shout with exultation, O city of Zion,
for great in your midst
is the Holy One of Israel!
R. You will draw water joyfully from the springs of salvation.

Alleluia MT 24:42A, 44

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Stay awake!
For you do not know when the Son of Man will come.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.

Gospel LK 12:39-48

Jesus said to his disciples: 
“Be sure of this:
if the master of the house had known the hour
when the thief was coming,
he would not have let his house be broken into.
You also must be prepared,
for at an hour you do not expect, the Son of Man will come.”

Then Peter said,
“Lord, is this parable meant for us or for everyone?”
And the Lord replied,
“Who, then, is the faithful and prudent steward
whom the master will put in charge of his servants
to distribute the food allowance at the proper time?
Blessed is that servant whom his master on arrival finds doing so.
Truly, I say to you, he will put him
in charge of all his property.
But if that servant says to himself,
‘My master is delayed in coming,’
and begins to beat the menservants and the maidservants,
to eat and drink and get drunk,
then that servant’s master will come
on an unexpected day and at an unknown hour
and will punish the servant severely
and assign him a place with the unfaithful.
That servant who knew his master’s will
but did not make preparations nor act in accord with his will
shall be beaten severely;
and the servant who was ignorant of his master’s will
but acted in a way deserving of a severe beating
shall be beaten only lightly. 
Much will be required of the person entrusted with much,
and still more will be demanded of the person entrusted with more.”

No comments:

Post a Comment