Monday, February 13, 2017

Jesus Sighs | February 13, 2017

February 13, 2017

Today’s gospel message is simple, but profound. The Pharisees were arguing with Jesus (AGAIN!). I wonder what exactly it was about this time? I imagine it was probably similar to the arguments that we have all witnessed recently on Facebook over politics, or on opposing news channels, or when healthy debates turn into ugly inflated poop slinging. We’ve all probably cut someone deep in an intense argument and/or have been deeply cut in one. When we are trying to understand or get answers, we might tend to become a little desperate and our lack of understanding puts us on the defense, guarding our pride because we don’t want to seem like we don’t get it, or that we are wrong. When I am in an argument with someone that is calm, cool, and collected (the exact opposite of my emotions at the time) I feel the need to make things even more intense and off balance. I know that I strive sometimes to get the other person to join my level of outrage or confusion or anger, so I taunt a lot of time unbeknownst to me, but other times on purpose. The Pharisees were taunting Jesus. They couldn’t see beyond the surface and their lack of faith demanded a sign to prove that Jesus was legit. Raise your hand if you have ever prayed for a sign. Raise your hand if you have ever demanded that someone prove something to you to “test” their love or their experience or their words or their loyalty.

This test made Jesus, the Son of God, “sigh from the depths of his Spirit.” Now I have deeply sighed before and I know you have too; perhaps when you think of the person that you are in love with, or when you watch a sad dog dying movie, or when you witness injustice, or when you find out you have cancer, or when you’ve just had a break up, or when your best friend betrays you, or when grief collapses your soul. When we sigh from the depth of our spirit, I doubt that the universe feels it, but when God Himself sighs from the depth of His Spirit? Only argumentative faithless religious leaders can accomplish such a monumental, earth shaking, thunder and lightning wielding, tidal wave generating, big bang colossal reaction in the universe! Yikes. This is a strong and paramount reminder for all of us that Jesus will never give us a sign to prove that religion is the answer, but he does constantly give us signs that love, love, love is. His response to the challenge of the Pharisees is to challenge them back with a question, “Why does THIS generation seek a sign?” Meaning: “Hello people! I am the freaking sign!! MESSIAH! Remember that person you’ve been praying about for literally hundreds of years! Yeah Him!! It’s me!!! No sign needed when you have the real deal in your midst! Oi vey!!!” (Author might have taken some liberties with the translation, but you get the idea)


Then, the gospel says, “He left them!” Oh crap friends. We have the ability to push Jesus away (even though nothing can separated us from His love, Romans 8:37-39), but our own lack of faith, focus on the wrong things, and pride can sure push the boat across the lake to the opposite shore and no signs will be given to us. Today’s gospel keeps my pride in check, my religiosity in check, and my faith. Rather than demanding a magic trick, perhaps I can just observe the humming bird feasting on all the flowers that are blooming today right outside me front door. Perhaps I can relish in the love of my faith community, or listen to a song, or sing one as a “sign” that God is living, and moving, and has my being. If we acknowledge the signs already given to us, we get to actually jump in the boat with Jesus, and he will sigh from the depth of His Spirit with delight that His beloved chose True Presence. Have a blessed day.  

Reading 1 GN 4:1-15, 25

The man had relations with his wife Eve,
and she conceived and bore Cain, saying,
"I have produced a man with the help of the LORD."
Next she bore his brother Abel.
Abel became a keeper of flocks, and Cain a tiller of the soil.
In the course of time Cain brought an offering to the LORD
from the fruit of the soil,
while Abel, for his part,
brought one of the best firstlings of his flock.
The LORD looked with favor on Abel and his offering,
but on Cain and his offering he did not.
Cain greatly resented this and was crestfallen.
So the LORD said to Cain:
"Why are you so resentful and crestfallen.
If you do well, you can hold up your head;
but if not, sin is a demon lurking at the door:
his urge is toward you, yet you can be his master."

Cain said to his brother Abel, "Let us go out in the field."
When they were in the field,
Cain attacked his brother Abel and killed him.
Then the LORD asked Cain, "Where is your brother Abel?"
He answered, "I do not know. 
Am I my brother's keeper?"
The LORD then said: "What have you done!
Listen: your brother's blood cries out to me from the soil!
Therefore you shall be banned from the soil
that opened its mouth to receive
your brother's blood from your hand.
If you till the soil, it shall no longer give you its produce.
You shall become a restless wanderer on the earth."
Cain said to the LORD: "My punishment is too great to bear.
Since you have now banished me from the soil,
and I must avoid your presence
and become a restless wanderer on the earth,
anyone may kill me at sight."
"Not so!" the LORD said to him.
"If anyone kills Cain, Cain shall be avenged sevenfold."
So the LORD put a mark on Cain, lest anyone should kill him at sight.

Adam again had relations with his wife,
and she gave birth to a son whom she called Seth.
"God has granted me more offspring in place of Abel," she said,
"because Cain slew him."

Responsorial Psalm PS 50:1 AND 8, 16BC-17, 20-21

R. (14a) Offer to God a sacrifice of praise.
God the LORD has spoken and summoned the earth,
from the rising of the sun to its setting.
"Not for your sacrifices do I rebuke you,
for your burnt offerings are before me always."
R. Offer to God a sacrifice of praise.
"Why do you recite my statutes,
and profess my covenant with your mouth
Though you hate discipline
and cast my words behind you?"
R. Offer to God a sacrifice of praise.
"You sit speaking against your brother;
against your mother's son you spread rumors.
When you do these things, shall I be deaf to it?
Or do you think that I am like yourself?
I will correct you by drawing them up before your eyes."
R. Offer to God a sacrifice of praise.

Alleluia JN 14:6

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
I am the way and the truth and the life, says the Lord;
no one comes to the Father except through me.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.

Gospel MK 8:11-13

The Pharisees came forward and began to argue with Jesus,
seeking from him a sign from heaven to test him.
He sighed from the depth of his spirit and said,
"Why does this generation seek a sign?
Amen, I say to you, no sign will be given to this generation."
Then he left them, got into the boat again,
and went off to the other shore.

No comments:

Post a Comment