Thursday, October 27, 2016

The Armor Of God | October 27, 2016

October 27, 2016

Today’s first reading is one that I have been praying with for some time now and I really wanted to write about it. Because we are not meant for this world there will always be a sort of underlying tension or dissatisfaction in our spirit. We battle to satiate this longing with the things of this world such as possessions, education, career, spouses, children, travel, etc., however, the spiritual tension never really subsides. It is a necessary hunger that is constantly trying to pull our souls to God, to love, to heaven, and there are alternate forces that also try to feed that hunger with unfortified food that tastes amazing, but at the end of the day the calories are empty and detrimental to our spiritual vitality.

They say it takes 21 days to establish a habit and when I once became a vegetarian, it was definitely a struggle within those first 21 days to even think that I could fully embrace that lifestyle. Once I was past that hump, however, I found that I could hardly remember what it was like to not be a vegetarian and I absolutely loved the way I felt and it became as natural as when I wasn’t vegetarian. Discipline is a key factor to spiritual growth.

The passage from Ephesians today gives us a plan for spiritual discipline in staying on guard against those subtle but powerful forces that want to steal our focus from the things that truly matter. Here are the six pieces of armor that Paul gives us:

  1. The belt of truth buckled tightly around the waist. Belts hold things up and keep them where they are supposed to be. The truth of the matter is always love and bringing others to God. Synch that around the middle of your spiritual life and you will be well equipped for battle.
  2. The breastplate of righteousness in place. Doing the right thing should be that which sits in front of our heart so that bullets, arrows, and daggers do not destroy it. We are each responsible for our own actions and the way we deal with conflict can make or break our hearts. Doing the right thing will keep your heart alive.
  3. Your feet made ready with the Gospel of peace. My Bible study teacher often said that Bibles are made out of leather so that we could strap them to our feet like sandals and stand firmly planted on the living Word. It’s a great image, but St. Paul makes sure to emphasize the virtue of peace. If you are steeped in the Word, you will be a bearer of peace and mercy will be your most effective weapon. Those that do not choose mercy do not choose the Gospel.
  4. In all circumstances use faith as a shield. Flaming arrows of slander, or judgment, or vengeance, or betrayal will most likely come our way, but our faith in God’s grace and our trust in the Lord’s power will block those arrows from penetrating our spirit. We just have to hold it in front of us, even when fatigue might set in.
  5. Wear the helmet of salvation. We belong to Christ. We are heirs to the Kingdom. This knowledge will protect our thoughts from the negative voices that pelt us in times of distress. Remember whose you are and let that helmet keep your head safe.
  6. Finally, the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word. Again we hear that the Word of God is a vital weapon and defense against the things that spiritually destroy us. Use it to teach love and use it to show love. Love conquers all. Love never fails. And the greatest of these is love.


I encourage each of us to make our own morning prayer out of this passage and to visualize the putting on of each one of these pieces of armor. If we do this for 21 days, maybe we will be in the good habit (virtue) of living in truth, righteousness, peace, faith, salvation, and the Word. Have a blessed day.  

Reading 1 EPH 6:10-20

Brothers and sisters:
Draw your strength from the Lord and from his mighty power.
Put on the armor of God so that you may be able to stand firm
against the tactics of the Devil.
For our struggle is not with flesh and blood
but with the principalities, with the powers,
with the world rulers of this present darkness,
with the evil spirits in the heavens.
Therefore, put on the armor of God,
that you may be able to resist on the evil day
and, having done everything, to hold your ground.
So stand fast with your loins girded in truth,
clothed with righteousness as a breastplate,
and your feet shod in readiness for the Gospel of peace.
In all circumstances, hold faith as a shield,
to quench all the flaming arrows of the Evil One.
And take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit,
which is the word of God.

With all prayer and supplication,
pray at every opportunity in the Spirit.
To that end, be watchful with all perseverance and supplication
for all the holy ones and also for me,
that speech may be given me to open my mouth,
to make known with boldness the mystery of the Gospel
for which I am an ambassador in chains,
so that I may have the courage to speak as I must.

Responsorial Psalm PS 144:1B, 2, 9-10

R. (1b) Blessed be the Lord, my Rock!
Blessed be the LORD, my rock,
who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war.
R. Blessed be the Lord, my Rock!
My mercy and my fortress,
my stronghold, my deliverer,
My shield, in whom I trust,
who subdues my people under me.
R. Blessed be the Lord, my Rock!
O God, I will sing a new song to you;
with a ten stringed lyre I will chant your praise,
You who give victory to kings,
and deliver David, your servant from the evil sword.
R. Blessed be the Lord, my Rock!

Alleluia SEE LK 19:38; 2:14

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Blessed is the king who comes in the name of the Lord.
Glory to God in the highest and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.

Gospel LK 13:31-35

Some Pharisees came to Jesus and said,
“Go away, leave this area because Herod wants to kill you.”
He replied, “Go and tell that fox,
‘Behold, I cast out demons and I perform healings today and tomorrow,
and on the third day I accomplish my purpose.
Yet I must continue on my way today, tomorrow, and the following day,
for it is impossible that a prophet should die
outside of Jerusalem.’

“Jerusalem, Jerusalem,
you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you,
how many times I yearned to gather your children together
as a hen gathers her brood under her wings,
but you were unwilling!
Behold, your house will be abandoned.
But I tell you, you will not see me until the time comes when you say,
Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.


No comments:

Post a Comment