Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Whatever Is | June 28, 2016

Today's reflection is not necessarily on the gospel for today, however, it does of course tie in as God's timing is just perfect always. I was up at Whispering Winds this past weekend doing music for Family Camp and I experienced one of those full circle things that people talk about so often. It was at a Family Camp back in the year 2002 for St. Gabriel's parish that I was called into Youth Ministry. I was currently laid off from my advertising job and my unemployment was about to run out, when a parishioner approached me that weekend and said that there was a Youth Minister position open at their parish. I pursued it and got the job and have been a Youth Minister ever since. During those early days of Family Camp, I discovered my gifts for leading children's music, teens to Christ, and essentially being able to minister to the whole family. Family Camp is where my roots were deeply planted, watered, fertilized, and nurtured. This past weekend was a family reunion of sorts as former staff members from way back when I was the Program Director were now attendees with their own families! I remember the day our camp care takers brought home their baby Trevor for the first time and now Trevor is over 6' tall working in the dining hall! Sara, one of my band members was one of my first youth group kids at St. Gabriel's where she and her friends were Child Care Assistants during many summers of Family Camp and now she is in the house band. Seeing my current youth group kids also experience camp for the first time as members of that same band. How bold, mature, and talented they are for not only playing music with me, but leading it on their own for adults, teens, children, and seniors! Family Camp is where seeds of faith are poked into our souls and where we find the desires of our hearts. 

The theme of this years Family Camp is "The Voice" and how do we hear God's voice in our lives. I watched three of my youth group kids find their own voices this weekend. Luc, Alyssa, and Annie were in the band with me along with Sara. My own Family Camp band is named the Whispy Chix (ironically named by someone on that St. Gabriel's weekend that I mentioned earlier), and so this past weekend we were affectionately known as "Luc And The Whispy Chix"! I had a family wedding to attend on Friday evening and would have to be late for the opening session, which would normally be very overwhelming for a group of teens to handle on their own. Not these teens. They are exceptional and they are on fire and they are talented and when they hear His voice they follow Him. When I finally did arrive at camp, they had command of the stage and the audience and they were amazing. Alyssa and Sara lead the children's program music on Saturday morning on their own while Luc, Annie, and I did music for the adult program (these kids are between the ages of 15 and 17!!). When we would practice, I could hear Luc singing. Luc never sings when he plays piano for us at mass! I finally said to him, "that's it....I'm giving you a mic!" He told me last night that he found his voice this weekend and that no one has ever acknowledged that he could sing and that's why he never sings. Alyssa has lead VBS music with me for a few years now and is my most shining guitar student. When she was given the chance to lead the children's music on her own, she rocked it and she was ready to fill my shoes. She found her voice of leadership. Annie is not shy except about her own song writing. Apparently she writes a lot of songs but never ever shares them with people. She has one of the most beautiful singing voices I have ever heard and she is an all around talented musician. She and I have written one song together called, "The Name Of God Is Mercy", and we have been wanting to collaborate again. On our break this past Saturday we wrote another song inspired by one of my favorite scripture passages in Philippians 4, it's called, "Whatever Is". Annie found her voice as composer and evangelist through her music. Sara and I found our voice through the eyes of these three amazing individuals as their mentors, their friends, their teachers, their biggest fans, and their sisters in Christ. Of course I feel unworthy of this calling, but somehow God keeps whispering in my ear that He's calling the shots and all I have to do is show up. 

Today's gospel has one of my favorite images in it and this is how I am going to try and tie this together....My new favorite song is "It Is Well" by Bethel and there is a line in that song that says, "the waves and wind still know His name." Today's gospel is that story of how Jesus calmed the mighty storm so that His friends did not die. His voice commanded the sea to stop raging and the sea obeyed Him. God's voice is powerful and gentle at the same time. It takes some effort to hear it and even more effort to recognize it. When we call upon that voice, He will come to our aide immediately and without fail. Family Camp brought me full circle to my own roots and beginnings in youth ministry, to a new generation of young ones finding their own voices, and finally to the reality that the waves and wind still know His name, and it is well with my soul. 

I hope you will indulge me as I share the song that Annie and I wrote up on the mountain this weekend. Have a blessed day.


Whatever Is
By Jen Bedison and Annie Barrack

Whatever is true, noble and pure, lovely and admirable, whatever is right...
Think of these things, when you think of Me.

Always rejoice in the Lord! Again I say rejoice!
Let your gentleness be known to all, for the Lord is near.

Whatever is true, noble and pure, lovely and admirable, whatever is right...
Think of these things, when you think of Me.

Do not be afraid, but in everything give praise.
And the peace of God will guard your heart, for the Lord is here.

Whatever is true, noble and pure, lovely and admirable, whatever is right...
Think of these things, when you think of Me.

Help me to live, help me to grow, grant me the peace, and I will know...
It is well with my soul. It is well with my soul.

Whatever is true, noble and pure, lovely and admirable, whatever is right...
Think of these things, and know it is well...with my soul. 

Reading 1 AM 3:1-8; 4:11-12

Hear this word, O children of Israel, that the LORD pronounces over you,
over the whole family that I brought up from the land of Egypt:

You alone have I favored, 
more than all the families of the earth;
Therefore I will punish you
for all your crimes.

Do two walk together
unless they have agreed?
Does a lion roar in the forest
when it has no prey?
Does a young lion cry out from its den
unless it has seized something?
Is a bird brought to earth by a snare
when there is no lure for it?
Does a snare spring up from the ground
without catching anything?
If the trumpet sounds in a city,
will the people not be frightened?
If evil befalls a city,
has not the LORD caused it?
Indeed, the Lord GOD does nothing
without revealing his plan
to his servants, the prophets.

The lion roars—
who will not be afraid!
The Lord GOD speaks—
who will not prophesy!

I brought upon you such upheaval
as when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah:
you were like a brand plucked from the fire;
Yet you returned not to me,
says the LORD.

So now I will deal with you in my own way, O Israel!
and since I will deal thus with you,
prepare to meet your God, O Israel.

Responsorial Psalm PS 5:4B-6A, 6B-7, 8

R. (9a) Lead me in your justice, Lord.
At dawn I bring my plea expectantly before you.
For you, O God, delight not in wickedness;
no evil man remains with you;
the arrogant may not stand in your sight.
R. Lead me in your justice, Lord.
You hate all evildoers;
you destroy all who speak falsehood;
The bloodthirsty and the deceitful
the LORD abhors.
R. Lead me in your justice, Lord.
But I, because of your abundant mercy,
will enter your house;
I will worship at your holy temple
in fear of you, O LORD.
R. Lead me in your justice, Lord.

Alleluia PS 130:5

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
I trust in the LORD;
my soul trusts in his word.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.

Gospel MT 8:23-27

As Jesus got into a boat, his disciples followed him.
Suddenly a violent storm came up on the sea,
so that the boat was being swamped by waves;
but he was asleep.
They came and woke him, saying,
“Lord, save us! We are perishing!”
He said to them, “Why are you terrified, O you of little faith?”
Then he got up, rebuked the winds and the sea,
and there was great calm.
The men were amazed and said, “What sort of man is this,
whom even the winds and the sea obey?”

No comments:

Post a Comment